Monday 12 January 2015

Only One | Kanye West

Title: Only One
Artist: Kanye West ft. Paul McCartney
Release Date: December 31st 2014
My Rating: ★★★★★
Thoughts: I have to admit that my love (verging on obsession) for Kanye West is pretty much unconditional, so making this an unbiased review will be difficult.
I would describe Kanye's most recent album 'Yeezus' as very intense and dramatic, and in his own words "this is what frustration sounds like". But as much as I love 'Yeezus', what I love about this song is that it reminds me of the more old school yeezy.
The lyrics in particular are a lot more heartfelt much like his earliest albums (The College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation) and actually evoke emotion rather than just informing us about how highly the man thinks of himself #nohate. He has also substituted rapping for his quintessentially '808s & Heartbreak' auto tuned singing. It's fair to say that, as a rapper, he doesn't have the strongest singing voice, but I think this just adds to the vulnerability of him opening up about such personal thoughts.
In recent years it seems that Kanye West has grown a reputation that can be summed up with the words controversial and disrespectful, so perhaps this song has given everyone a chance to see that maybe he is a decent person after all who realises that he has made mistakes just like everyone else. As the songs says, 'you're not perfect but you're not your mistakes.' 

Overall, I am head over heels in love with this song and if the coming album is anything like it, we are in for a treat.





No comments:

Post a Comment