Sunday 11 January 2015

Art Inspiration from Jessica Durant


For my art coursework recently I've spent a lot of time researching artists, and the other day I went a bit off course and came across Jessica Durant. I've always loved these kind of fashion illustrations, but I have also always been the worst watercolour painter in the world, so I've never really given it a go, just out of fear of failing horrifically. But tonight, as I didn't have anything to do (that's a lie, I was avoiding homework), I picked up a pen and a paintbrush, and finally had a go. Here's what happened.
 



 
 
The majority of these are pretty much just copies of her work (I think I must have been dropped on my head as a baby and lost the imagination part of my brain), but I'm actually quite happy with myself that they turned out half decent. I really enjoyed doing these so I'll keep practicing and, if they turn out ok, will post some more soon.

Not all of Jessica Durants paitings are my cup of tea, some of the brighter coloured ones do have the tendency to look slightly like something a 13 year old American girl would've posted on her tumblr in 2012 with the word 'Yolo' overlayed. But the ones that I do like, I absolutely love. I particularly love the moody black and blue colouring, I think it just look so pretty in combination with this kind of minimalist style of drawing.

Here are some of my favourites.














6 comments:

  1. These look fantastic! I'd love to see more of your art :) x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the watercolour in these paintings help to show the expression of the women. It look as though you really understood this and her style of painting. I'd love to see more of your work as your studies of hers are amazing!
    Emily
    http://dreamuphappiness.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I really love her work ! thank you so much! Xx

      Delete